Wednesday, February 13, 2013

IP Tomato-Basil Rotini Soup

Weigh-in tomorrow.  My journalism-school jacket is sooooo close to fitting. I had a thought about it... I actually can't remember whether it fit me closed back when I was wearing it before. That was more than 30 years ago. I actually think I used to wear it open all the time. So when it does fit me, that might actually be the first time in my life. My figure certainly looks almost teenaged to me.

Anyway, here's the recipe.

Rotini is a relatively-new product that’s come out from the ever-creative food designers at Ideal Protein. At Medi-Spa they have it in plain and tomato-basil varieties, so I chose the latter. I tried it in a pasta salad,  which I didn’t like that much. It doesn’t quite have the texture of real pasta… gives a bit more of a bite back. “If only I could put it in a soup,” I thought. “Chicken-flavoured… Chicken Noodle… Tomato Basil…” But that would be double protein packets.

Not quite sure what I was going to combine the rotini with, I threw it in water to boil for 10 minutes as per the instructions, and it occurred to me as it was cooking that the water could be used as a soup base. Was there flavour in it, coming from the rotini? I tasted, and, sure enough.

Thus this recipe was born. It has a nice complexity and harmony, and leaves a pleasant burn on your tongue. Next time I’m going to it differently, probably making it more alliumy by using more garlic and onion salt. The rotini could be boiled in chicken stock for a more meaty flavour, too.

1 packet IP Tomato-Basil Rotini
Enough:
     White mushrooms
      Daikon
      Cubanelle pepper
      Zucchini
      Green onions
      Grape tomatoes
 …to add up to 2 cups, diced fine-ish
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tsp paprika
½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp Greek oregano
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Boil Rotini in about 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Add daikon. In a hot frying pan, scorch zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic. Cook other seasonings, except the salt, if you dare… otherwise just add them to the rotini and water, along with the fried veggies. Adjust flavours and serve.

--

1 comment:

  1. Why did you stop posting? I'm in week 3, down 10 lbs to my goal if 60 down. My concern is transitioning and keeping it off. How has that gone ?

    I'm terryppl1993 at gee mail.

    ReplyDelete