Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bad day yesterday (Day 26)

I mean, today is Day 26.  Yesterday, the bad day, was Day 25.  It seemed like I was hungry all the time, from the moment after I finished a meal and felt it was not enough, to just before the next meal when I felt it couldn't possibly be.  I was somewhat depressed too.  I think the hunger was emotional.  I get that.  This diet may not be for those who are susceptible to emotional hunger, unless they have some way of dealing with the emotion.

Anyway, today I'm fine again and... mmmmmmm!  I think I'll say this one's a keeper.

The flavour of cilantro seems to be something you either love or hate. Whichever is the case with you will definitely apply to this filling, delicately green-coloured soup.

IP Compliant Chicken Veggie Cilantro Soup

1 packet Ideal Protein Chicken-Flavoured Soup
1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder or cube
half a green pepper
3 green onions
1 baby bok choi
3 tbsp shredded radicchio
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp finely-chopped fresh cilantro

(Yes--you are reading that correctly--NO salt to taste, NO pepper.  Can you imagine?  I never do that!)

Chop all ingredients that aren't already chopped except the IP soup packet into bite-sized pieces, set in about 2 cups of water to simmer.  Meanwhile, mix the packet with water in your shaker as usual.  (I made the mistake of dumping it straight into the soup, giving myself the painstaking task of getting rid of all the lumps by mashing them against the side of the pan.)  Bring up to a simmer again but not to a boil or even simmer too long, or the soup mix will curdle.  I think this would work with many different vegetables, really... cauliflower or broccoli (though they need longer to cook so make sure they're tender before adding the IP soup), mushrooms (I was low or I would have put some in for sure)... even lettuce.  If you find radicchio too bitter, don't put it in.  The crucial aspects are the IP packet's seasoning, the garlic and the cilantro. 

Non-IP-compliant: double the chicken bouillon and add a quarter cup of heavy cream.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment