Thursday, May 17, 2012

Belgian Endive Soup (Day 40)

Did I mention that at my last weigh-in, despite taking off my 2-lb. sweater (this worked last time) I found I had lost only two pounds?  Possibly this is why I have been somewhat discouraged and depressed the past few days.  Not sure whether it was falling short on water intake, doing too many "mini-cheats" like a morsel of chicken skin, or what.  Or maybe it was averaging out the 6-lb. loss of the week before.  I am doing my best to stay positive, anyway.

It does not seem to be pre-period water-weight gain... this diet has apparently catapulted me into menopause.  I should have had two periods since I started, and I haven't even had spotting.  I was having hot-flash-like spells earlier, but they've gone away again.

Another thing bothering me is boredom with the vegetables I am eating.  To combat that, the other day when I went shopping I decided to buy one vegetable I had never eaten before, or at least cooked (I might have eaten it as part of a restaurant meal I can't remember).  Unfortunately the Huntsville FreshCo doesn't have that big a selection... a few weird ones they brought in right after they did their big facelife (and pricelift) are gone now, victims of lack of interest.  I did however find Belgian endive, so I grabbed one.

Casting about on the net I found this soup which I saw could be adapted.  Here is my version (no food processor required):

1 packet IP Cream of Chicken Soup, mixed the usual way
1 Belgian endive, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 portabello mushroom, minced
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 squirt of lemon juice
sea salt and pepper to taste

Saute all ingredients but the soup together until they're a little cooked, not mush.  Add the soup.  In the original version, you sprinkle it with chopped chives (I was too lazy) and garnish it with a sprig of dill floating on one leaf of the endive like a boat for a very elegant look.  All IP compliant, so go for it.

A day or two before that my lunch IP soup was Tomato Basil.  On first try, I didn't like it much... I should have known, I've never liked tomato soups.  I was hoping the basil would make it palatable.  I think perhaps they don't add enough, so perhaps that would help.  However what I found on this last try was that it is saved entirely by the addition of half a tablespoon of chopped garlic and about a teaspoon of curry powder. Mwah!

--

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! I am on IP, and I bought endives with no idea how to cook them! I tried this soup and I LOVED it! Only difference is that I added celery and more mushrooms (to make sure I had a full 2 cups of veggies) and when it was sautéed I pureed it in the blender. Very good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete