Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Not hungry...!? (Day Four)

Day 3-5 are supposed to be the worst part of the IP diet.  I got that warning from Melissa and Jo-Ann both.  But so far it's not any worse than Day 1 or 2.  In fact this morning was weird.

I woke up at about 3:50 this a.m., with a sick son.  I didn’t have the urge to consume anything except about 40% of my required daily water (I usually go over) then went back to bed until 7:17 or so, which is when I usually get up to make sure both sons get on the bus.  The younger one I knew wouldn't be, but turned out the older one also is sick.  So I phoned their respective schools, went back to bed and woke up again at 9 or so, and here’s the weird part… I wasn’t hungry.

Not at all, no bacon craving, no toast craving, nothing.  I wasn’t averse to food, knowing I had to eat (IP requires breakfast)… I just felt like I could take it or leave it.  This is not like me at all.  I'm usually very eager for food by 8:30 at the latest.  I made a bunch of work-related calls, then had my omelet at about 10:30.  And I didn't find myself wolfing it like I usually do.

This is the opposite of what I expected on Day 4.  I thought I’d be a ravening, drooling bundle of carb cravings, fat yearnings and sweet lustings.  (I do get cravings for the usual things at the usual times–the toast, the sandwiches–but they are momentary and I seem to be able to will them away.  And I got them from the start.)   I wonder if my liking for water and tea is standing me in good stead?  The first thing I’ll do when I get carb craving is grab a cup of tea, then virtuously check off another water box in my journal–that seems to work.  I think the feeling of virtuousness is crucial.

The only thing I’m having trouble with is making sure I get my full RDI of the sea salt (half a teaspoon, which doesn't sound like a lot, does it?)  I realize that traditionally I use shaker salt very rarely; I was obviously getting some in the bacon and the luncheon meat, and then for dinner we’d do up a marinade or glaze, but usually use soy sauce.  And I'd slather salted butter on my veggies, which of course I'm not doing now.  Going through that half teaspoon a day without making things too salty, I'm finding tricky; I actually didn't eat the whole amount yesterday and now I'm trying to figure out how to catch up today.  Not a problem I expected to have.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment