Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Quest for flavour (Day Five)

I got hit with something of the nasties last night.  My sons are home now... no longer may I eat IP in blessed isolation.  They're home and they're eating bread and cereals and cookies and chocolate and all kinds of other things I like.

Last night it was burritos.  I love burritos.  All the ingredients were laid out as usual... the tortillas, the meat, the tomatoes, the grated cheese, the sour cream, the avocadoes, the salsa.  They've been on a Mexican food kick for a few months, and I joined them in it, so I can imagine very vividly what all those things taste like.  It was really hard to walk by without nibbling a pinch of cheese or a spoonful of avocado.  I did it though.

"Stay away!" Jo-Ann told me firmly when I recounted this to her on the phone.

"I did!" I answered.  "I'm just whining!"

"Whining is allowed," she reassured me.  Good, because I imagine a fair amount of this blog is and will be exactly that.  Karen's IP whine-and-dine blog.

Today's lunch was 50/50.  The banana pudding, thumbs down... even with copious cinnamon and nutmeg added.  I like sweetness at lunch but not quite that much and the texture is meh.  Never was a big pudding fan.

However... another keeper!  Would rosemary and sesame oil work together on delicate veggies, I wondered...  only one way to find out.



Karen's IP-Compliant Rosemary Triple Veggies

Zucchini      \
Eggplant      |--- in whatever proportions you like to total 2 cups chopped
Cauliflower /
1/4 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 tsp dried rosemary (though I think fresh would work better)
sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste

Saute the veggies in the oil, searing, then add the seasonings and a little water to simmer down the cauliflower.  (Or start it first).  Serve when all is tender.  I think this would be good with mushrooms, too.

Somewhere in my cupboards, long buried and forgotten... lies the Moosewood Cookbook.  I might well hit that for further inspiration.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment